Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Frenzy

The anticipation and excitement for our upcoming trip is totally getting to me!!! 12 more days before we depart.

I emailed our contact at the charity organization that we're volunteering with regarding attire and level of conservativeness in Nong Khai. This is what he said:
"Yes, please bring some pants. We sometimes get invited to teach at public schools or at an English camp and it's not polite to wear shorts."
This cracked me up for some reason! How embarrassing would it have been if I didn't ask this question and ended up not bringing any pants...

The past couple of days, Ana and I have been spending on last minute purchases and quickly deciding on items to invest in. She bought an external hard drive and some fancy camera lenses for our money shots abroad. We're both thinking about getting netbooks. They're so cute! We both purchased 5 months worth of travel insurance. The hugest backpack I will ever own arrived in the mail and I've semi- started packing it. I need a new camera because a drunk friend threw mine on the floor and it was never the same after that. I'm borrowing a few nifty items from Josh, our experienced backpacker and go-to guide for leaving the country. Plenty of time to figure the rest of this stuff out.

A twinge of fear crept into me the other day, for the first time ever since the idea of this trip manifested about a year ago. It's the kind of fear you get right before you do something gutsy. Even if it's planned-- like a tattoo, bungee jumping, sky diving, etc.-- you can be excited about it for the most part, but then right before it happens, your heart might beat faster and you might start sweating because now, all of a sudden, you might be a tad scared of the the needle and the pain, the height issue, the parachute not working... Something like that.

But more than anything, I would have to say I'm ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. GO!!! Embrace all your fears and fly. It is only then that you can see all your potential and what the world has to offer!

    ReplyDelete