Thursday, September 10, 2009

Time travel

Almost three years ago, in 2007, I started making New Year's Resolutions. Actual Resolutions that I wrote down and stuck by and Post-It noted in my planner to constantly remind me of what I wanted to accomplish in the next year, and more generally in my life. Ana joined me in this practice as well. I remember our excitement for 2009 and the lists we came up with that were more than doubly as long as the previous year's. We were intent on living by them. I always take a moment to look at them when I feel lost or when I have spare time or when I just happen to flip to the back page of my planner. Some of them are still works in progress. But for the most part, I would say they came to be.

2009 Resolutions, in no particular order:
1. Speak your mind and take risks with no regrets.
2. Visit at least 3 different countries!
3. Develop upper body strength. Become a certified yoga instructor.
4. Save $20,000. Quit job. Get outta San Jose.
5. Learn more about your family.
6. Improve posture.
7. Drink lots of water. Read lots of books.
8. Eat more vegetables. Drink less alcohol.
9. Write and sew more.
10. Fall in love <3
11. Limit the petty gossip.
12. Don't be jaded by past events.
13. Be nice to your parents-- they made you.
14. Change your life and the lives of others.
15. Be patient with your goals and celebrate small victories.
16. Get more sleep.
17. Wear sunscreen regularly.
18. Believe in your luck at all times.
19. Embrace your youth and all its mischief.
20. When bored: play piano, do pushups, daydream about your future, write, draw.
21. Appreciate the waves in your hair.
22. Take really good care of your teeth.
23. Absorb positive energy from people who are happy and in love.

Once in a while, in the company of a dear friend or even with myself, I'll ask the reflective question, "What were we doing one year ago?" We remember the emotional state we were in, relationships that were beginning, ending, or in progress, what jobs we had, what we were doing with our spare time, funny things that had happened, sad things that had happened... It always seems to start interesting conversation and introspection on how fast time flies and how crucial it is to make goals for progress in this life.

Just a year ago, my life was very different. I was still a corporate member of corporate America with an 8x8 cubicle, steady income, stock options and great benefits. Nonetheless, at times, I felt like I was wasting my brain power on administrative tasks, data entry and witnessing senseless office drama enacted by people older than myself. I missed doing work that actually reached out and helped other people. I felt torn and stuck, because we were in an economic crisis and I had a job with a company that was still doing well despite the fact. Plus, I had the coolest boss ever. All "common sense" would tell me to stay there, but my heart strings were tugging me somewhere else. I guess I've always wanted more than what would make most people content. I was confused, but tried to be patient for things to make sense.

Almost exactly a year ago to this very day, it was my cousin's birthday and I spent the weekend in Irvine to celebrate and take a break from life. I remember feeling like I was on a real and necessary vacation, even though I wasn't too far away from home. So many things happened and changed that weekend. New bonds began; old ones were tested; existing ones were strengthened. Somehow, the perspectives I received managed to shift my energies. When I got home and checked my email, I received an acceptance invitation to volunteer with Isara, and that's when I knew things could change. I told Ana right away, and started planning so that we could make it happen. The past year has flown by, maybe because I've since been constantly looking forward. I have no regrets.

This is me + Ana purchasing our one-way tickets to Thailand a few months ago. Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" was playing in the background and we toasted our purchase with wine coolers.


Things don't always happen right when you ask for them, but if you want something bad enough, it will come when it's supposed to.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Lara,
    Our family wishes you the very best in all that you do. You know sometimes it is difficult to just put your goals down on paper, but it is even more difficult to follow through and do something about them. I appreciate your willingness to go out there and experience life for what it is..."the Present"! I know it is never easy to spread your wings and fly on your own, but that is how eagles. May God's peace be with you on your journey. You are always close to our hearts and Go Change the World! We all do our little part in the people we meet and the lives we interact with everyday. If you are not doing anything on Sept.19th come on up there is an event that we will be at called the Vortex and we would love to see you. I know it may be pretty busy for you though. Take care. Enjoy your journey and thanks for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw lara you're definitely living your life now. you're going to come back with a beautiful new perspective. be safe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara! My awesome cousin! I am so very proud of you. You let go and are living your dream of making a change in this world and for that I admire you. Not many people have the courage to do what you are doing and you should be so proud of yourself. You will have such a life changing experience during your travels and I know you will get to see and experience so much. Keep writing on your blog and stay in touch with me so I can keep track of where you are and what you will be seeing and experiencing. Be safe,take time for yourself to reflect upon all that is around you. Love you much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete