Friday, September 25, 2009

Vagabonding

A few things I noticed about traveling:
(1) In a country where we don't know the language, we've felt relieved seeing other people with huge backpacks and hearing people speak English.
(2) On a similar note, it's amazing how little of the country's language you actually have to know in order to get by. Somehow, Ana and I made it to the Northern border of Thailand from Bangkok without understanding or being able to communicate in Thai. We're not even really sure how we did that.
(3) It's interesting to me how we can meet and speak with other backpackers, and never get to know their name. Like the guy from Colorado we met in the Taipei airport, and the helpful couple from London that I spoke with at the Bangkok train station. Usually in meeting someone, I would be accustomed to extending my hand for a handshake and introducing myself. But when traveling, I suppose both parties know it may be unlikely for paths to cross again in the future, so names don't necessarily matter in those moments of connection.
(4) It's valuable to learn other people's perspectives about your culture. On the overnight train ride to Nong Khai, Ana and I were seated next to a man from Holland who was traveling to Laos. We spoke with him for a long time, and somehow got to comparing and contrasting American and European governments. I can typically be disgruntled with the way many things are in America, such as the health care system that doesn't actually provide true care for our well-being, the culture of competition and materialism, and the nature of corporate America being that it eats away at people's time for actually living their own lives and doing things they like. Our friend shared with us that Obama was a relief to the European countries, as he was for me and many other Americans. He also told us that he was always amazed at the generosity of Americans. I was unsure about what he meant. He explained to us that, for example, the NY Museum of Modern Art is fully funded by private donations, whereas any museums in Europe are run by the government and supported by taxes, and European people often complain about their hefty taxes, and therefore are never willing to give more than what is required. While in utter amazement of this perspective, he further explained that we should never be negative about our country and its government-- we can criticize our own and we can criticize others', but from all cultures we have something to learn.
(5) Squatter toilets are a whole different world.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this site with us.

    I admire you for having the courage to do what you are doing.

    Like I said, you and I are alike. Our energies are or were just channeled in different ways.
    I, too, took Yoga and studied yoga philosophy
    (I am not competing with you, he,he,he. You know what I mean), but I admire you for taking it further than I did.

    I, too, dreamed of studying in Berkeley when my parents were trying to move to USA. I am very happy that you graduated from there.

    I, too, tried to change the world for the better. But along the way I made compromises with the world because I have to take care
    of my family (no fault of yours or anybody, it was a decision I made). I know you've heard me say "I tried to change the world, but the world changed me", that is not completely true. I still try to change it in any small way I can.

    As you travel and try to find yourself, enjoy every moment of it. Learn as much as you can for education is not found only in the universities. Be safe and listen to your instincts. Learn to speak the country's
    language, even just the basics, and you'll see how the people will warm up to you.

    Lastly, think of us once in a while. Don't forget to pray. Come back when you are done with your adventure and tell us stories, of your trip and the people you meet, in person.

    Maybe you and I can write a book about our parallel journey in this world.

    We love you and miss you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete