Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Calasiao

Today we took a short trip to Calasiao, my Dad’s ‘hood, which is just a couple of hours away from Burgos. I haven’t been here since our family reunion in 2006.


This used to be my Grandparents’ pharmacy, where my Dad and his brothers and sisters, and even some of my cousins grew up. I remember staying here when I was younger. It looked much bigger to me then. Even though it is now Ursula's Laundry, this place is always of historical importance in my book.


This is our family’s house a little down the street from the old farmacia. My Dad, his siblings, and other members of our family all threw in ends to have it built as a place for the family to stay during their visits to the Philippines. I think Auntie Cora stays here the most though, since she spends a lot of her retired leisure time in the Philippines. 

I <3 Auntie Cora!

I love visiting this house! (Even though I’ve only been here twice...) My cousin, who’s a fabulous interior designer, helped work on the plans for this house, and the outcome is absolutely gorgeous. It has touches of antiquity and family history all over the place.


Here are photos from my parents’ wedding.

I love this photo of all the Estrada siblings. My Dad is the little boy on the left.

These chairs were fashioned to replicate exactly the chairs that we had in old house at the pharmacy.

My Dad apparently planted this mango tree.

Auntie Cora keeps the hallway updated with all the latest family photos.

Even though we were only in Calasiao for a short while, I’m so glad that we got to visit!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lara,

    Just a small correction. Our family still own the house (house and lot) although we are leasing/renting it to the laundromat operator.

    That house holds a lot of good memories for me and your mom as well. Just seeing it from your photo brings a lot of childhood memories to me. Thank you for passing by Calasiao and taking a picture of the two "ancestral" houses. At least you saw where I grew up and lived the first 22 years of my life.

    Have fun in your travels. Be safe always.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello...i'm not sure who to reach out to but I'm an Estrada as well. My father grew up in Calasiao before moving to the US in the late 1970s. We might be related but I was wondering if maybe you could get in touch with me concerning our family...i'd like to know a lot more about our history...email me at kevd00d@yahoo.com and i'll reply with a real e-mail address...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
    บริการ ซักรีด โรงแรม

    ReplyDelete