Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bittersweet




It's getting harder and harder for me to look people in the eyes these days... I look at Ming and think about how she's been like our Mom, always taking care of us, taking us out to eat and making sure we're okay. I look at Kirk and think about all the jokes we've shared and long conversations we've had about anything and everything in the scope of our human experience. I look at the kids and wonder if they'll remember me, but moreso look at them hoping that they'll remember all that we've tried to teach them while we were here. I get teary-eyed just thinking about leaving the place that's been "home" for the past 2 months. I'm such a sap.

I've been reminiscing lately about the first few days arriving in Thailand and at Isara, when everything was new and I felt like I would be here for such a long time. As much as time does slow down here, the past  few days have been blowing by quickly. The sand seems to drop faster when the hourglass is almost empty.

An email from Kirk over a year ago was one of the first things that sparked big changes in my life. As much as I know he is thankful for the work I've contributed to Isara, I am more than equally as grateful for what this experience has provided for me. Isara has been an opportunity to be involved in something I care about, a chance to travel and open my mind to different people and communities, and a refreshing confirmation that altruism and good-hearted people absolutely exist, and are in abundance if you look in the right places.

I'm soaking in the last few days, enjoying my time with Kirk, Ming, all the volunteers, and of course the precious students. I'm taking pictures to last forever and living with no regrets.

Unforgettable... I hope our paths cross again one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment