Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween =D




For the past two years on Halloween, I've decided to decline invitations to club parties full of drunk girls in lingerie and animal ears, opting to spend it with kids instead. Hands down, I have no regrets! The past two Halloweens have been the best I've ever had.

Here are some flashbacks from last year when I went trick-or-treating with my nieces and nephews and their neighbors' kids. The neighbors' mom didn't believe I was old enough to supervise them (probably because I was dressed like a ballerina with a sparkly pink tutu + glitter ballet flats, and was smaller than her teenage daughter), so she sent their dad out to come with us as well. I hadn't gone trick-or-treating in a few years and I had a blast. I miss these kids sooooo much!!!







Thai people don't typically celebrate Halloween, but we spent our last class session teaching the students all about it: the history of the holiday, how to say "trick-or-treat;" what a jack-o-lantern is... We showed them videos and pictures of children in costume and told them we were going to have a party on Friday instead of having class. The kids were so excited!

We spent pretty much all day on Thursday preparing for the big party. We cut out bats and spiders to hang from the ceiling, made ribbons and certificates for the future winners of the pumpkin (squash) carving contest, drew jack-o-lanterns and ghosts, and made decisions about food, lighting, and music. I couldn't remember the last time I had spent so much time with markers, construction paper, fishing line, scissors, and tape, but seeing everything come together was completely worth it.

Friday morning, we set up the big classroom with all the decorations, and the party energy was building up. I've always loved Halloween because I think it's so fun to make costumes and dress up. And I like chocolate too =) I was anxious for the fun to begin!

The kids started to trickle in, and it totally melted my heart to see them come with so much spirit, dressed in costume and toting bags to collect treats. I smiled watching their faces light up at the sight of all the decorations and candy, and hearing them say, "Trick or treat!" as we had practiced a couple of days before.





Ana and I did face painting for the kids. Our services were in high demand and the kids formed long lines, waiting their turn to be transformed into animals and zombies. Here are some samples of my artwork. Some of these photos really make me laugh!







The party was complete with too many sweets, sodas, and treats, as well as a costume contest, squash-carving contest (since they don't really have pumpkins here...), scary stories told by candlelight, and a few rounds of musical chairs. We even had a dance party for a couple of hours, reminiscent of 6th grade school dances in the gymnasium. Some of the kids we would have never expected turned out to be dancing machines! I was filled up on cookies and candy, and could actually feel the sugar crash happening by the end of the night.








All in all, everyone had a great time. Several of the kids stayed later than they usually would. It was almost 10:00pm by the time everyone cleared out. When some of their parents came to pick them up, they saw how much fun the kids were having and said they would stay and wait for them, so that they could enjoy themselves a little longer. Spending holidays with children opens you up to feeling a genuine spirit of celebration and excitement. In their youth, they're so far away from realities learned in adulthood, and watching them is like a touchstone to flowing with a carefree life. On Friday, I remembered what it was like to be a kid.

Halloween, I still love you. Even though I'm 24, I will still wear a costume and eat candy all day in your honor.






1 comment:

  1. You guys are doing such great things over there! Way to have Halloween Spirit!

    ReplyDelete