Thursday, October 1, 2009

Slow motion

Time slows down here. And it's a good thing.

Since I've stopped working (in the corporate, 9 to 5 sense, that is), I've had infinitely more time to things I wanted to do. That was pretty much the point of my decisions in the first place.

Here at Isara, we have teaching responsibilities for 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. It also takes time to do lesson planning, and there are always other projects to work on. In a couple of weeks, we will be teaching in the mornings, Monday through Friday, at a local school. But that still leaves us a lot of time to ourselves to do as we please, which is important for everyone, although many forget to prioritize it in their lives.

The other day, Ana and I woke up at 5:00 am. That morning, I led her though my first yoga class. I read her one of my favorite poems, Desiderata, at the end, and she said it almost made her cry. I love doing that to people =) Later that day, we helped Kirk and Ming paint one of the rooms downstairs for the future radio station that will be here. We seriously felt like we were painting for hours. We even thought we took a long break to get "ca fe yen" (iced coffee, for Ana) and "cha rom yen" (iced tea, for me). We did a few more painting touch ups, and then played the "Guess The Time" game we usually like to play. Ana guessed that it was 4:30 pm. I guessed it was 4:00 pm. But guess what time it really was... 2:40!!

To fill the time, we make to-do lists and create small personal projects. For example, one day we woke up at 6:00 am and did a photo shoot in the backyard. Ana got to work on her photography skills and I got to work on my modeling skills. Just kidding... But we both got to check off something from our personal to-do lists and the results of our creative energy were great.




Other things we've done with our time:
* A lot of writing-- for ourselves and others.
* One day, we cleaned our entire bodies with baby wipes. We had a lot of time and a lot of baby wipes. If you ask us, we can tell you the parts of your body that collect the most dirt.
* Sitting down and thoroughly enjoying meals, without being distracted by television or rushing to finish or having to eat on-the-go. We really get to appreciate our food and company here.
* Watch movies, which I love to do, but hardly make time to do.
* Explore the town by foot.
* Try to learn how to count in Thai.
* Eat deep fried crickets.
* Try to teach Ana how to ride a bike.



Desiderata by Max Ehrman

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. 

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. 

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. 

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. 

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. 

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. 

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.







2 comments:

  1. Have a good time. I would like to invite you to visit my blog, lovelybabysky.blogspot.com. This is my pride because I built it by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poem! My Mom gave me this book when I graduated 8th grade, something like "I love my daughter" and it had a bunch of poems in it. Desiderata was my favorite in there. I remember at Cal I would always repeat the part about persons being greater and lesser than you (mostly greater than me) because I felt so dumb! haha

    ReplyDelete