Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas down under

Okay so... Sometimes I don't feel the "holiday spirit" until something sparks it in me, like Thanksgiving, or watching a holiday movie (like The Holiday!), or witnessing warm frenzies at the mall. But today is Christmas and it still doesn't feel like it...

Nonetheless, today, like all days, I have lots to be thankful for.

(1) I finally got to Skype with my family! I swear I've signed into Skype almost every time I've been on my computer, and never caught my Dad signed on until today. I got to see my parents for the first time since I left the country, and got to see my brothers, and even got to see my neighbors who happened to stop by while we were video chatting. Miss them!

(2) I love hospitable Filipinos! We've been staying with Ana's cousins in Sydney. I love how I can just get dropped into any Filipino household and feel like I'm at home. It also helps to have this munchkin running around:



That's Anton, wearing my sunglasses. Even though I didn't get to spend Christmas with my family this year, it's nice to spend it with another family =) We went with them to a 70s themed Christmas party and Noche Buena dinner after midnight with their friends. Even when I don't know the people, I love watching others opening gifts and enjoying the presence of their closest friends and family.






(3) The year's almost over and I've done everything I've wanted to accomplish this year. And more.

(4) I have the best friends + family in the world. I feel even more qualified to say that because I can still feel their love from so far away <3

(5) There's a jar of M&Ms in front of me.

(6) They make soda with pure cane sugar here instead of high fructose corn syrup.

(7) I'm just lucky beyond belief.

Happy holidays to you and yours! Count your blessings and tell your loved ones how you feel about them. Even though I definitely miss spending the holidays with family and friends, I'm still thankful for this opportunity to travel and have this experience. Being so far away from home makes me realize who and what are really important to me. I already can't wait until next year's holiday season so I'm able to spend this time with my family and friends!

Merry Christmas <3

No comments:

Post a Comment