Saturday, December 19, 2009

G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

I experienced a bit of culture shock after getting off of the plane and taking a taxi to our hotel. It’s so different to be in a Westernized country. It’s so different to stay in a nice hotel as opposed to a shady guesthouse with a cold shower and questionable sheets. It makes me thankful for comfortable amenities, but also amazes me at how quickly I can switch modes and forget about the simple lifestyle that I literally just left behind.

When we first arrived, Ana and I knocked out at the hotel while Patricia, Brian + Aussie were out to watch a movie. We were exhausted from traveling, as expected. I usually hate being waken up from naps, but I was so happy to see our friends when they got back from the theatre!!! It's so comforting to see familiar faces and be with friends from home =)

I love Melbourne so far! I feel like I could live here. It reminds me a lot of San Francisco, except that it’s not congested. There are tall buildings and historical sites like in SF, but things are more spread out, the streets are wider, people aren’t in a hurry, and there isn’t any traffic. Everything in the city central is within walking distance, and people here know how to party. There are bars everywhere, and people drink casually at all hours. Here are some shots of the city:








After spending the day exploring Melbourne, we went out to a couple of bars. It's been a while, alcohol... I've gotten used to entertaining myself without you.







A case of blackfoot is proof of a good time =)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment