Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back again

Philippines 2009:

Philippines 2010:

Shout out to the 2009 P.I. Party Crew-- I'm having fun here talking about you with all your parents!

I'm totally serious too. Even though I wish my cousins could be here with me again this time, I'm still so happy to be here nonetheless =)

Upon my arrival in the Motherland, I learned that some of my Aunts + Uncles from the U.S. were also visiting. (In fact, it was the parents of all my cousins photographed above...) Unfortunately, my Great Uncle passed away a few weeks ago, and they came for the funeral services. I had no idea that they were going to be here still, so it was such a pleasant surprise to see even more familiar faces. It's very comforting to be with family after being away from home for a while.

My Uncle Dante was waiting for us right outside of the walkway off of the airplane. He always makes sure we're taken care of. I always feel safe when he is around.

My Uncle Merlo came along to get us at the airport. He told me he came to the Philippines because he had to check up on me. He's always a joking around like that.

When we got to the house, my Auntie Lilly gave me a warm hug and had us sit down to eat, first thing.

I bumped into my Auntie Cora as I was getting ready for bed and brushing my teeth. She woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. We used to live together with her family in our house when I was very young. She bought me blue and yellow Fisher Price roller skates when I was a little girl. When she saw me, she hugged me and told me that she missed me.

I'm very lucky to have such a close and loving family. I'm especially close to the Estrada side. My Dad is the youngest of seven. I have so many Aunties and Uncles and cousins, but all of them treat me like their own daughter or sister. I'm always thankful for that, and I love them all very much.

There's so much joy and history with our family. I always have a blast hanging out and partying with my cousins. I adore all of my cousins' children and could play with them for days. But just as much, I really enjoy sitting and talking with my Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents, listening to stories about how they grew up, or how my parents were, reminiscing about the past, and hearing their different takes on life. I could really sit and talk with them forever, and try to do so as much as I can.

I absolutely love visiting the Philippines! I love being in the place where my parents grew up and where our family started its roots. Even though I was born and raised in America and I've only been here a handful of times, I always feel like being in the Philippines is a touchstone to the past. There's just a feeling I have when I'm here, looking onto the busy roads of Manila or watching endless fields and makeshift houses float past the car window... It's very calming to me. It's hard to explain, but it feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment