Thursday, January 28, 2010

Talim Island


I can easily say that I grew up with a pretty comfortable life. My parents may have been protective of me at times, but they never sheltered me from knowing the harsh realities and poverty in the world, especially as it exists in our home of the Philippines. It’s common here, as in many developing countries, to see people living on the streets with barely anything to their name. They survive day to day by whatever means necessary, whether it be selling various wares on the streets or begging for money. I know that my parents wanted me to see this, never with the intention to think that we are any better than those less fortunate, but rather as a reminder to be grateful for all that we have, and to know that there are so many people in the world that can use a helping hand.

Today I was blessed to be in the presence of two people who dedicate their work to helping those in need in the Philippines, and that also happen to be very dear friends of my Dad. I’ve been in contact with Henry and Lisa since we were in Thailand and have been excited to meet with them and contribute to their work in the Philippines.


Henry and my Dad were very close friends when they were young and invincible. As my Dad describes, they were unstoppable in their day. They worked together organizing efforts in political activism during a time when such things were unspeakable due to Marcos’ declaration of Martial Law. They put themselves at much risk to stand up for what they believed in against a tyrannical dictator. People disappeared and lives were ended, both by subtle and obvious methods of action, for showing the slightest bit of disagreement with the government. But I know that for them, the Philippines was always worth dying for.

Henry was the Best Man at my parents’ wedding. They lost touch a few years after my Dad moved to the U.S., and only recently reconnected when my Dad found Henry on Skype. It meant a lot to my Dad for his daughter to meet and work together with one of his best friends from some of the most memorable years of his life.

Henry and Lisa picked us up from my Auntie Lilly’s house early in the morning and we went with them to Talim Island, over an hour away from Manila. The island is home to rural fishing communities, and was highly affected by the recent typhoon that hit the Philippines. We took a ferry to various barangays around the island, dropping off water storage containers for them to use. We also met with the doctors and midwives on the island whom they are working with to put together two medical missions in March.


As we walked through the small towns to meet with the other organizers, I was reminded again of the poverty level and simplicity of life led by so many people. Despite how little they may have, we were always greeted with smiles and merienda. I realized that the contents of my single backpack that I’ve been lugging around for the past 4 months is probably still more than what some of these people have. But they still manage to be happy, thankful, and resilient.


I didn’t understand all of the Tagalog conversations held regarding planning, but I could make out that they were trying to get an estimate of the medical and dental needs and population count, so that they could be most effective with supplies and staffing for the upcoming medical missions. Many of the people on the island go without healthcare for months or years. They are sometimes only visited in their community by government doctors once every three years. They otherwise leave their health to the winds and to the responsibility of the limited medical staff, which is sometimes only one midwife burdened with the health problems of a few thousand people.

I didn’t actually do much of anything all day, in terms of participation or activity. But I watched and observed with admiration and hope. My eyes were opened to remembering what good can always be done. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet with Henry and Lisa again before leaving the Philippines and take part in more of their charitable works. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm doing research on stilt houses and plans to visit Talim Island, hoping to find ones there. Aside from the stilt houses you've seen in the middle of the lake (assuming you've seen this), are there also ones that are in- land? The ones that are being inhabited by families in their everyday lives? If there are, do you still remember where in Talim Island?

    Thank you very much and I hope you could helo me here.

    -hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talim is also famous for trek and camping at Mount Tagapo. Hope you can visit that and see the amazing scenery.

    ReplyDelete