Friday, January 29, 2010

Road trip

My Auntie Camilla picked up me and my Mom from Manila to go to Burgos, their hometown. My Grandma, two of my Mom’s brothers, and one of her sisters still lives in this province where they grew up.
Before enduring the 8-hour road trip to Burgos, I was lucky to meet up with most of my cousins on the Guiang side of the family. Most of them are currently studying in Manila, and I was lucky to catch them. It seems to be the case that I see them about every 5 years.


It’s an interesting dynamic—while on my Dad’s side of the family, I’m among the youngest out of all of my cousin’s, I’m the second-oldest among my cousins on my Mom’s side. They are so polite to me, and the most common question is, “Ate Lara, do you have a boyfriend?” They always ask when my Mom’s not paying attention, as if they are asking about an illicit affair and I might get in trouble if she found out. This makes me laugh, and I wonder if they’re disappointed that I don’t have any juicy news to tell them when I answer in the negative.

After lunch, my Mom wanted to visit University of Santo Tomas, where she studied. I wanted to ride in the car with all my cousins, with Adrian as our driver. Adrian was supposed to lead the way, but he managed to miss a turn in the hectic Manila traffic, and we end up not going because it’s too much out of the way. We’re laughing for most of the car ride. My cousins are fun and funny. I see the close bond they have developed from living down the street from each other for most of their lives.

We pull over at a gas station and I say goodbye to my cousins and switch over to the van with my Mom and Aunts. I know that my cousins will always have that close relationship with each other. I can just tell, and it makes me happy. Hopefully, 5 years won’t go by before the next time I get to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment